Friday, November 21, 2008

Reverse Masking, with a twist!

Are you looking for simple, single layer card ideas that are also eye catching? Using the reverse masking technique, you can do just that! With the very versatile stamp set Best Wishes & More (page 55, IB&C), I have created 2 cards using that technique, one with a twist. Here's the first one:

Here's how you do it:
  1. Use post-it notes or paper with removable adhesive* to cover (mask) 3/4 - 1" in from each side of a white or neutral card front. Grid paper under your card helps you position the masking just right. You can also use a light pencil mark that can be erased later.
  2. To create depth, use 2 ink pads that are different shades of the same color. (In the top card I used Kiwi Kiss & Old Olive. In the card below, I used Baja Breeze & Not Quite Navy.) Starting with the lighter color, sponge the entire inside exposed area. Then sponge the darker color around the edges of the masking and lightly in random areas in the middle.
  3. While the edges are still masked, ink your stamp with the lighter color and stamp randomly. Then do the same thing with the darker color.
  4. Now remove the masking and add a couple more stamped images in the white space as though they are falling onto and off of your card.
  5. Stamp desired sentiment in the lower right corner.

VOILA! you've made a card out of one piece of card stock! You could add ribbon or other embellishments, but I don't think they need it.

Now for the twist, in the below card I added an extra technique--emboss resist. After I masked the edges, but before I sponged, I used the Versamark pad and clear embossing powder to heat emboss a couple of the snowflakes. The one challenge I found with this step is that the embossing powder wanted to stick to the masking layer. I used a brush to wipe away that extra powder prior to heat setting. Then just continue on with the above steps and you not only have snowflakes in 2 shades of blue, you also have some white ones that POP off the card!
*Since making these cards using post-it notes, I have been thinking about how the masking process could be done more simply (just in case this happens to be your Christmas card and you have to make a bunch of them). I had the idea to cut a piece of printer paper to the size of the card front, use a sliding blade type paper trimmer to cut the inner space out and attach that with removable adhesive. After a few uses, the ink would start to bleed through the paper (just as it would with post-it notes), so you may have to make several of these, but it would definitely make the masking step easier.

I have been working on making our family Christmas cards and have already completed 40 cards. Yesterday I finally went through our friends & family list and counted just how many cards we'll need... and was shocked to discover we'll need OVER 100!!! Up until now, I have been making the multi-layered cards that I designed for last weekend's Christmas card class (which went great, by the way)... I think I may have to switch to the simple single layer card! That is one of the reasons I was motivated to come up with a simpler way of masking. :)

How are your Christmas cards coming along? Have you even started them yet? I hope this inspires you to get working on them. There's just 34 days until Christmas!

Happy Stampin!

9 comments:

Katy said...

Brenda, these are adorable!! I need to make some thank you cards and this perfect. Thanks for sharing!!

Julia said...

Love these cards! I think I know what my next technique class is going to be. TFS

Amanda said...

I've tried using an oval mask - cut from paper, it works really well! I'll be teaching it at my next event next weekend. Great job, I love those colours together!

Brandi Wiggins-Côté said...

Those are REALLY beautiful! I'm totally going to try one out. TFS, Brenda!

Brandi

Traci G said...

These are beautiful!! I love them. My Christmas cards are far from done, but I have a good head start. I need about 150 and I think I probably have 50 done. I hope to finish them up next week! Traditionally, I always work on my cards after Thanksgiving dinner while everyone is watching football!

Carmen said...

WOW Breanda these are the BEST one layer cards I have ever seen. I'm going to have to try this technique out! Love Love the snow one the best .. my fav colors! Good luck on getting all your cards done .. I have to make only 50 but I haven't even started uggh!

Carol Matthews said...

Both of these cards are lovely, I especially like the snowflake one but that's because I'm partial to blue... Thanks for sharing the method!

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous. I love the snowflake version! I used a piece of Confetti white cardstock. It never bleeds through.

Jennifer Murai said...

Love these. You did a fantastic job with this technique. TFS