Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Sparkly Snow Swirled Pop-Up Card

Okay, as promised, here's one of the sparkly cards I was working on yesterday when I learned that ceiling fans and embossing powder don't work well together. :)

I don't know if you can tell, but all of the snowflakes (inside and out) are embossed with iridescent ice embossing powder. I used craft ink for the Not Quite Navy and White flakes. In order to emboss the Baja Breeze flakes, I inked the stamp with Versamark ink first and then inked it up with Baja Breeze classic ink. If you give this technique a try and need to stamp the image more than once, be sure to clean the stamp in between each stamping. That's something you don't want to learn the hard way. :)

I'd like to share another tip with you about how I created the striped cardstock. I used the recipe card stamp from the "From the Kitchen" stamp set. I used several different colors of ink, including silver, (cleaning the stamp in between colors, of course) and just inked up the lined section and carefully stamped the lines on the cardstock strip. I challenge you to look outside of the box when using your stamps. It adds value to your already valuable stamps! I'd love to hear of what "outside the box" ideas you come up with.

Are you wondering how to create the pop-up feature? Well, basically you punch a 1-3/8" circle out of cardstock and cut it into a spiral. Then attach the outer end of the spiral to the bottom inside of the card with Mono Multi Adhesive (a little goes a long way) and let dry. Flatten the spiral, then put another little dab of Mono Multi Adhesive on the inside end of the spiral and close the card to adhere the spiral to the top inside of the card, let dry. Then open up and attach snowflakes, balloons, or whatever you'd like to go along with the theme of your card! I also anchored the ends of the spirals with extra snowflakes. It adds a fun surprise!

Happy Stampin!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty. I love how you used the from the kitchen set for the stripes. Great idea.

Thanks for Sharing

Hope group 3 sister

Katy said...

Brenda, this is so pretty! I'm glad you posted the directions on how to do the spiral. I sort of thought that was how, but wasn't sure which size circle to use. Thanks for sharing!!

Jennifer Wiemann said...

Very cool card! Great job! Love the colors!
Jennifer
www.mommy2my3boys.blogspot.com

Carol Matthews said...

Gorgeous color choices - I never would have considered them. Very sophisticated card - thanks for sharing!

Tandra said...

Soooo cute!!
You have sparked an idea....